Topcliffe Village History
The idea of building a village hall originated in February 1945 when there was a joint meeting of Asenby and Topcliffe parish councillors to discuss the potential for a joint venture.
A special committee was formed especially for the purpose of raising funds and seeing through the village hall project. The first £100 raised was achieved by March 1948, a piece of land was conveyed to the committee in April 1960 and it was 1961 when the hall was finally built. At that time the building consisted of the main hall, kitchen, ladies and gentlemen’s toilets and an entrance hall.
The builder was S R Fryer of Asenby. The hall was officially opened by Mrs Rayson, wife of Wing Commander Rayson, who was based at Topcliffe Airfield, which is within the parish.
By 1993 the hall was so well used that additional space was needed to allow separate functions to take place at the same time. During 1993/94 the hall was extended to add a storeroom and two ancillary rooms at the rear. The cost of the extension was £32,000, which was largely funded by grants, and the revamped hall was officially opened on 29 April 1994.
In 1998/99, in the run up to the Millennium, the whole hall was completely refurbished, with grants of £40,000. The work included reroofing, replacement of windows with double glazing, new kitchen, toilets, lighting and heating and total redecoration. The refurbished hall was officially opened on April 1999 by Mr Douglas Garland, the retiring Topcliffe councillor on Hambleton Council.
In 2001/02, grant funding was raised to allow for the introduction of a comprehensive heating system.
The village hall is a registered charity – No. 1003803.